Sunday, January 12, 2014

Be a church that does, "What if?"

Church Planter's Blog #5

Perhaps you've heard of author and LA church planter, Edwin Raphael McManus.  Recently he wrote, "We are residents of the future in present times."

That simple statement struck a complex chord in me.  Maybe my internal wiring is just messed up, but I've always had the habit of living for the future, rather than just settling in the present.  For example, I might preach a great sermon on a Sunday morning in the present, but I only enjoy it for a moment.  Immediately after, I start moving into the "now what?"  Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the moments I'm going through--- whether its with my family or church family, but I quickly move to future thinking.  In other words I go from "what is" to "what if...."

In my work of connecting with church leadership around the nation, I see a lot of church folks living in the past and stagnating in the present, all because they're afraid of the future.  My heart breaks over that.  After all, the hope of Jesus is to be received today for the sake of knowing his hope for tomorrow.  His hope empowers us to storm the gates of hades with confidence!  Time-and-time again Jesus says, "Be not afraid in the present, because your future is my future...and I am the way, the truth and the life to the Father!"

When churches get stuck in the past, or are stagnating in the present, they are missing the power of pushing into God's "what if" of future transformation.  That's why churches that are strategizing their discipleship efforts today are not only the ones thriving in the present, but will be the ones driving into God's preferred future.  They are "what if" church movements.  They are incubators for birthing the world's very best ideas that lead to the very best actions of faith!

So, while scripture instructs us "to be still and know that I am God," its not for going to sleep.  Yes, God instructs us to stop and smell the roses of His daily grace in the present, but only so He can engage us to join Him in unfolding a future of even greater grace.

Here's just one example of living into a "what if" scenario: Look around the nation and try to find churches that are making a daily faith impact with some lasting results in the marketplace.  I said a daily impact that is lasting.  Yes, many are doing great ministry moments, but not enough are imparting action plans that are paving into a greater future.  For instance, we feed hungry people, but hunger continues.  We assist people with money, but they still need good paying jobs.  Its almost like Christians receive all God has for them on Sunday mornings in the worship center, but forget to impart-it-out on Monday mornings in the marketplace center.

This is why I am consulting the Lord on starting a Marketplace Ministry Church for the Twin Cities of Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN.  As I continue to explore this God-idea with more "what ifs," perhaps it will serve as a national model for others.  The Marketplace Ministry Movement of Minnesota would not be born to replace anyone's current home church, but to complement it.  We would still worship, but would do so on a Monday night in a marketplace setting.  We would still teach and proclaim the Gospel, but in a manner that leads to hands-on training for daily, on-going influence: in homes as well as in the schools, businesses and governmental spheres.  In other words, "what if" I were to start a church with the laser-focus of maturing current believers so they could be more effective in the harvest field with those who do not yet know the lasting love of God in Christ Jesus?  "What if" the church got ahead of the culture-curve and really led the way to lasting city transformation?

Friends: What are the "what ifs" God is placing on your hearts for planting new churches?  I certainly encourage you to enjoy the precious "what is" moments of life...but then ask yourselves, "what if..."  As you do, I'm convinced you'll become a powerful present instrument for God's preferred lasting future!
"We are residents of the future in present times."


No comments:

Post a Comment